Comparing Two Object Versions
Comparing two object versions can often be useful, particularly in cases of concurrent development, when a developer wants to review modifications made by another developer, or when a quality assurance engineer wants to understand exactly what they are testing.
Deltanji works alongside a tool called Beyond Compare by Scooter Software to provide comparison functionality. Before you use the Compare feature, make sure that Beyond Compare has been installed on your system. If not, please contact your system manager.
Launching a Beyond Compare diff directly from the Deltanji browser interface is most conveniently done if you are using Internet Explorer. Deltanji creates a textfile with the extension .hta and downloads it to the browser. Internet Explorer usually allows you to open this file directly, which executes the instructions it contains and so launches the BC executable. With other browsers you typically have to save the file before you can open it.
In many cases you want to compare an object with its immediate predecessor version.
1. In Deltanji, find one of the object versions you would like to compare.
2. Right-click on it and select Compare.
3. If your browser allows you to open the .hta file that Deltanji sends it, do this. You may be prompted by a security message. If you cannot open the file directly, save it to your computer and then open it.
4. Once Beyond Compare has started you should see two panels, one listing the object version you selected and the other listing its predecessor version. Look at the numbers in the panel paths to determine whish version is on each side. Double-click on a component row to compare its contents between the two versions.
To view only the differences, click on the button with the red 'not equal to' sign on the toolbar. For more information about useful features on Beyond Compare, see the article on Beyond Compare Tips and Tricks.
Sometimes you might want to compare two arbitrary versions.
1. In Deltanji, find and select one of the object versions you would like to compare.
2. Find the other version you are interested in, for example by drilling down into the predecessor chain of the object.
3. Add the second version to your selection, for example by holding down the Ctrl key and then clicking on the object.
4. Right-click on one of the two selected objects, then choose Compare.
5. Open the .hta file that Deltanji served up to your browser.
6. Once Beyond Compare has started you should see two panels, one listing the first object version you selected, the other panel displaying the second version. Look at the numbers in the panel paths to determine whish version is on each side. Double-click on a component row to compare its contents between the two versions.